Wednesday, August 03, 2016

My World - A Sizzlin Summer sketch

Day 3 of Sizzlin' Summer, my friends & I am LOVING it!

Brynn at Scrapbook Challenges has outdone herself with these great sketches & I'm loving having so much inspiration to create so many layouts.

Today I have for you a traditional 12x12 layout & a few tips on how to freshen up some old paper.


Here's the original sketch


So, full disclosure, patchwork isn't really my thing. I did something similar on a page for SBC a while back, and I do love how the page turned out, but I did not like the creative process. However, with the sweetness of this photo, I had the perfect, busy paper that would work, but not be patchwork. The thing was, it was a little dated. I love this WeRMemoryKeepers paper from 2010, but using an entire sheet nowadays with that busy pattern was just not going to fit with my style.

If you find that you have older paper that you love, but want to make it work with modern paper, just mix with some new collections with the same tones. I picked out the cream and black of the WRMK paper & paired it with a funky polkadot number from my new Dear Lizzy stack. I then tried my hand at some mad layering - a technique I definitely would not have attempted in 2010 - with the photo.


I used some anchor paper from a Fancy Pants beachy line because my family is my anchor. I also used a strip from the opposite side of the "patchwork" paper, a couple other scraps, and the top of some packaging to add some funk. I like to roughen the edges of my papers to give texture and make them stand out from the page some. I softened the layers with a little stitched heart sticker that complimented the paper and photo subjects well.


I got the globe cut file for free from my friends over at Paper Issues & used it as another layer behind my title. I think it also makes the page more modern, as a die cut, shape where you can see the paper through is all the rage currently.

I really enjoyed making this page, and using some of my stash finally.

Supplies:

Family paper - We R Memory Keepers
Background paper - Dear Lizzy
Anchor paper - Fancy Pants
photo backing paper, labels, home stamps, and alphas - Studio Calico
Globe paper - Amy Tangerine
Globe cut file - Paper Issues

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment